Yesterday I finished my first two-tone silkscreen project. It’s really not hard to do, I’m just lazy and like to wash out my screen as little as possible. Naturally, two colors means more time spent waiting for things to dry, making sure everything is aligned, etc etc. But now that I’ve done it once, I gotta say it’s worth it. Here’s what I did:
- First, I designed the image. In this case, I found a picture of a lady on one of Shawn’s records and traced it onto transparency paper. I then added flowers and airplanes that I traced from another record and a comic book. I wasn’t thinking about this at the time, but I think the final image is pleasingly Darger-like.*
- Next, I placed a second piece of transparency on the drawing and colored in solid blocks where I wanted color. Here is the blocked out image with the outline image:
- I then burned these two images onto a screen using photo emulsion and a chicken lamp.
- Now the fun part. First, I printed the solid blocked out images in blue ink.
- Once those were dry, I printed a black outline on top of the blue image. Voila!
*A painting by Henry Darger: