this recipe is for Christmas Rocky Road by Nigella Lawson. I usually substitute ginger snaps for amaretti cookies and craisins for candied cherries- you can get creative with all different types of nuts, cookies and dried berries!
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 4 tbsp corn syrup
- 4 cups amaretti cookies
- 1/2 cup shelled Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup red candied cherries
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- edible glitter, to decorate (optional)
- Place the dark and milk chocolate pieces into a heavy-based pan. Add the butter and golden syrup and cook over a low heat to melt and combine.
- Place the amaretti cookies into a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin to make crumbs of various sizes.
- Place the Brazil nuts into another freezer bag and bash in the same way.
- Take the pan of melted chocolate mixture off the heat and add the crushed biscuits and nuts.
- Add the cherries and mini marshmallows. Fold the mixture carefully to coat all of the solid ingredients with the syrupy chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a 29 x 11 in greased and lined baking tray and smooth the surface as much as possible (although it will look bumpy).
- Refrigerate for two hours, or until firm enough to cut. Dust with icing sugar, then sprinkle with edible glitter if you wish.
- Remove the block of rocky road from the tray and cut into 24 rectangles.