I spent this weekend on the lake with friends, and thought Kitchen Play‘s, thai cabbage salad from CUTCO‘s summer dining menu would be great to bring along. Courtesy of Shockingly Delicious, this salad is fresh, cool and flavorful- and one cabbage made a TON, so it would be especially good for picnics or potlucks. I didn’t have any peanuts on hand, so I substituted roasted pine nuts and they worked well.
Thai-Style Cabbage Salad
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (I used Meyer lemon juice because I had it)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce (see note below)
- 1 green cabbage, finely shredded
- 5-6 leaves kale (I used Redbor magenta kale, but use your favorite variety)
- 1 small red onion, sliced extremely thinly (see note below)
- 3 peeled and grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Honey-roasted peanuts
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the lemon juice, oil, sugar and fish sauce until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cabbage, kale, onion, carrot, mint and cilantro and toss well. The dressing will coat the ingredients very lightly; there will not be a pool of dressing in the bottom of the bowl. Throw in a handful or two of peanuts, toss again, and serve.
- Serves 8-10.
For more recipes like this one, check out the Domesticity page.